Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- This mind-blowing photo app makes Instagram’s filters look so lame – Prisma acts like your very own Picasso in your pocket. It uses advanced neural networks and artificial intelligence to paint from a picture.
- ‘Smart Highway’ Coming to S.F. Bay Area – The SMART Corridor project will add advanced metering lights, lane-closure warnings and variable speed-limit signs in a San Francisco highway.
- Machine Learning Algorithm Spots Depression in Speech Patterns – Researchers from the University of Southern California have developed a machine learning program that detects speech-related diagnostic criteria in patients being evaluated for depression.
- Nest’s Latest: A Security Camera That Uses AI To Analyze Threats – Nest Cam Outdoor is a waterproof security camera that uses artificial intelligence to detect possible threats.
- It’s ML, not magic: simple questions you should ask to help reduce AI hype – These questions demystify Artificial Intelligence.
- Teaching an AI to write Python code with Python code – Learn how to create a machine that writes its own code.
- 3 I’s Of Data-Driven Engineering – The 3 I’s of data-driven engineering are insights, indicators and investments.
- By studying ant colonies, MIT devised a totally new way to analyze massive amounts of data – Researchers at MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) created an algorithm that replicates the behavior of ants in order to predict the population density of a network.
- They Know What You’re Watching (And Why You’re Watching it) – Data analytics has revolutionized the television and video industry.
- Why artificial intelligence is enjoying a renaissance – Artificial Intelligence is booming due to the use of new use of neural networks, which is modeled on the architecture of the human brain.
- Visualizing the Great Migration – The Most Under-Reported Story of the 20th Century – This data visualization the migration of African-Americans in the United States.
- Inside IBM’s New App-Building Training Ground – IBM is opening a garage space for its developers where people can work or talk with others about what they’re working on.
- Thinking in SQL vs Thinking in Python – Each language encourages a different mental framework for solving problems. Being aware of these frameworks is important when mastering a language and/or tool.
- Mobile Phone Data Reveals Literacy Rates in Developing Countries – A machine learning algorithm has found that literacy is dropping.
Upcoming Data Science Events
- IBM Webinar: Why the Data Science Professional Benefits from Using Apache Spark – On July 21st, attend this webinar to learn about how to use Apache Spark to solve problems.
- The O’Reilly AI Conference – Learn about Artificial Intelligence from leaders in the field in September 26th-27th.